Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

I'm an ex-fundamentalist PK (Preacher's Kid) gone good. I live in Wisconsin with my partner of almost 5 years. We hope to be adding to our family in the near future. Currently, my hot topic of interest is the proposed constitutional ban on civil unions and marriage for gay and lesbian folks in Wisconsin. I love Wisconsin and have no interest in living anywhere else, but I feel slapped in the face almost daily by those who are pushing this amendment that could threaten all legal protections for gay families and which will affect my family personally. My blog will likely be focused on this issue - might throw in a bit of other things just for kicks though.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Assembly considers the Ban...

I received word from several sources that the state assembly is expected to vote on the ban on civil unions and marriage for gay couples today.

(for up to date happenings, see the NoOnTheAmendment blog)

As much as I try to maintain a positive attitude and outlook and not gripe publicly about how it feels to have my family targeted in this way, I’m just not there today so this is my snipey response:

One of the sources was the legislative notification email I received. It stated:

You requested to be notified of the following legislative activities:
Proposal: AJR-67 (05-4116)
Bill History:
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2005/data/AJR67hst.html
Relating to: providing that only a marriage between one man and one woman shall be valid or recogniz...
AJR-67 was reported out of committee on Judiciary in the Assembly on February 23, 2006 AJR-67 was referred to committee on Rules in the Assembly on February 23, 2006
AJR-67 was referred to the Assembly calendar of February 28, 2006

Yes, I requested…

But it would be so much more truthful if they announced it by saying something like

"AJR-67, the change to the constitution that targets your family, will be on the calendar for debate and voting February 28, 2006.

Please be advised that numerous people will be debating your right to care for your family, to be cared for by those you choose, to be recognized as a family, and to be afforded even minimal legal protections as a family. Several people will talk about you and your family without knowing you in the least and will say things that have no remote connection to your life. Others will make declarations about how this amendment won’t affect you in the ways you fear in order to make those who support it feel less guilty for harming your family. They will focus on the word "marriage", since that's a more emotion-laden word, and ignore the ban on civil unions and the threat to all other legal protections for you and yours.

As you requested to be notified of activity on this bill, you will be notified when the vote is done of exactly how many people in this body stood up for freedom and equality and against discrimination in our Constitution."

In some small way, that would at least feel more honest to me.

I’m going to take my exhausted self to work now. But thanks for listening. And please consider the real impact this is having and will have, if passed, on real people in our state.

contact your representatives today and tell them to do the right thing and VOTE NO!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home